Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Shutting Down


Wow, that was a bit of an absence, wasn't it? I am currently recouping from what seems like the bubonic plague that took over our house for the last week. But I think I am on the mend and will survive.

It isn't amazing how many ideas present themselves when you begin a project? I have created a file with blog ideas and it seems I also never run out of opinions either…. But that coupled with all the activities I am involved in not to mention work and now school, it seems my brain just will not shut off! Thank God for the plague descending on Castle Howard this weekend, otherwise I probably wouldn't have even tried to relax.

I haven't seen the movie "Eat, Pray, Love" yet, but I have seen the scene where Julia Roberts' character tries to meditate. She talks nonstop to herself and is bothered by a bug and realizes after a few minutes how difficult shutting her mind off is. I will admit that I like being busy, I like being involved- I really do think that it has kept me sane (as strange as that sounds). I feel that even more these days when there is a constant bombardment of information. And I have been teased that my blackberry has been surgically attached to my brain. Even when I am not being distracted by all of these outer pieces, why it is SO hard for me just to do nothing? I don't think the 30 seconds after I turn the light out and before I fall asleep at night counts. Can anyone relate?

I would love to say I am a calm person and can separate myself from my activities or family and just relax, but it seems I have a hard time doing any part of that. But I really would like to know why? Is it because I really am that busy? Possibly. Bad at time management? No, I don't think so. Or is there some deeper reason I am avoiding? I honestly do not know. But I would like to find that spot where calm and peace lies, at least for a few minutes each day.

Here's hoping you have found your spot of peace today!

Peace~
Melinda

No comments: