Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Heart breaks..

Part of being healthy is being a healthy Mom.  But being a parent has been the hardest and most wonderful thing I have ever done.  Right now, I am watching a talk show about bullying, it's mainly about the 4 teenagers who have committed suicide recently for being bullied and teased for being gay.  This has been a subject that hits home right now.  My 9 year old son was bullied a few weeks ago, not because of a sexual orientation issue, but because of an misunderstanding on the playground.  My son was followed into a bathroom, trapped and punched by another 3rd grader!  Fortunately, he told his teacher immediately and the offender was dealt with extremely harshly and I am grateful for that. 

The hardest thing as a Mom is to know that you can only protect your child so far.  And that is terrifying.  My son was diagnosed with Autism at 3 and he has been in therapies since 2, I have so much time and love and heartache invested in this person that I cannot fathom anyone not wanting to love him instantly.  I doubt I feel any different about my children than anyone else does about their children. 

We have had so many conversations recently about keeping himself safe, etc.  I have never wanted to be a helicopter parent, but what else is there?  How else can I protect my child when he is away from me for 7 hours a day?

I could not imagine how much pain the parents and family members of the children who have ended their lives must be in.  They are in my heart and in my prayers.  Let's teach and model kindness and compassion, not hate and fear.  Let's model love and acceptance towards others as parents, your kids are watching....very closely.

Peace to all of us...
~Melinda

1 comment:

Kristen said...

Hugs...hugs and more hugs.