Wednesday, August 4, 2010

What do you do?

I have had a terrible day.  Absolutely terrible.  I won't sugarcoat it for you, having computer issues, people issues, and skin issues.  I feel like climbing into bed and staying there until Thursday waves her white flag!  It's days like these that I struggle the most with everything!  Right now it's 3:45pm and all I have eaten today is a piece of pumpkin bread and some green tea.  And absolutely no desire to eat anything more, my body hurts, my mind hurts and my emotions are raw. 

I debated writing this post, but to be true to myself and what has become a wonderful following, I felt I needed to write even on the bad days. 

So what do you do on one of these days?  Really, I want to know.  Some people run for the comfort food, some run for the alcohol, and some just run.  I think by choosing not to eat I am punishing myself.  But this is the hardest part- choosing me over the situation.  Realizing that I am more important than what is going on.  What does me not eating or taking time for myself or simply walking away from the problem, do?  Doesn't solve the problem any faster, I can tell ya that!  All it does is hurt my own body and you know what?  I deserve a lot more than that. 

Sometimes I think we don't allow ourselves to be good to good to our own bodies and that doesn't make a whole lot of sense. 

Wishing you and me some peace today....
Melinda

8 comments:

Molly said...

Hang in there. Tomorrow WILL be a better day. Be good to yourself - you deserve it!

deb said...

Eat to live, not live to eat is a good rule of thumb to prevent comfort eating. I have had to learn the size of my stomach and try not to go beyond that or eat calories that I won't burn (like at night before bed).

Beck's Diet is awesome to cognitively reprogram our brains to eat to live and get healthy.

I fighting this battle too...way to stick to your plan and post! I need to exercise when I feel like sitting or lying down (that's my challenge)!

Melinda said...

Deb what is Beck's diet? I am reading "Women, Food and God" and it is so good and tells you to trace your eating back to the emotion you are feeling and to find out what the core of what you are doing is. Hadn't ever stopped to think about that before.

Mer said...

I have a good cry. But then I pull myself together cuz wallowing in my problems only makes me feel worse. I'd start with the computer problem first cuz it'll be "easier" to solve and give you a small sense of victory.

Brandy said...

Your body needs fuel to get you through your day able to handle whatever life throws your way. When you deny your body that fuel, you're not getting the strength you need to tackle things. Food = Fuel. When I have days like that, I take a deep breath and remind myself that sometimes I'm the bug and sometimes I'm the windshield. :) ♥ Hang in there. It will pass. Love you.

kari said...

Hey Melinda~ First I have to say I LOVE this blog. I think that so many people struggle within their own bodies and skin! John and I have struggle with weight for so long and still it is a battle that we have to make a conscious choice to not let it become master over us. We have discovered USANNA.. as of today We have lost a total of 110 pounds between the both of us. Emotional eating is one of the issues that haunts me sometimes daily. What I do is surround myself with people that understand and talk... and... talk! :) It is a blessing to have those in our lives that will take our hand and our hearts.. and are willing to encourage us when we are down and celebrate with us when we are up!

C said...

I agree with Brandy, you have to fuel your body so take just a little indulgence with yourself but have self control. I keep a stash of secret Lindt Chocolates away from my DH and oldest DS (little DS is not there yet) and I have one of them. As it melts in my mouth I close my eyes and remember that God created it (well he had his hand in it) and the sweet melt coats my mouth makes me smile and I feel a hug from God. He wants us to find something that makes us smile. I know talking about food when you are dieting isn't right. But lets get real who has time for a bath or manicure or time to really indulge themselves. Those who have it all together and those aren't of the real world.

Life can get to you only if you let it. You love flowers take the time on those days and buy some flowers or hide the laundry and play hide and seek with punky. Do something just to make you laugh or smile. It will take effort but the rewards are bountiful.

love ya

Melinda said...

You all are such incredible women and I am so very, very blessed to have you in my life! Thanks you for sharing your thoughts, I really believe we can all learn so much from each other!

Today was a better day, computer problem solved, skin issues will be an issue for a bit more and the people issues...well I am going to pull an Abe Lincoln on that one "can't please all of the people all of the time".

<3